The following outlines the safety guidance for engineers working with ByBox networks.
Overview Of Operation
The ByBox Field Support operation specialises in the overnight delivery of goods to engineers. The goods are collected either direct from their company premises or stockholding within the ByBox warehouse operation each evening and then deliver these parts to a network of “exchanges” across the country. The exchanges could be a collection of large steel boxes fixed to the outside of buildings, or another allocated drop off point. We also handle the return of items to your company’s stores.
There are three types of exchange in the ByBox network - Lock Boxes, which are accessed with a traditional key and iBoxes, which are accessed with an access card and an App Boxes that uses blue tooth technology to access.
If you have been sent a key, please refer to the Lock Box section for further instructions in the Starter Pack.
If you have been sent an access card; please refer to the iBox section in the Starter Pack.
Site Safety Practices
Vehicle movement & parking
- Vehicles must be driven on site observing strict adherence to the site speed limits. Drivers must watch out for and respect the movement of pedestrians and other motor vehicles.
- Parking on site must be at a suitable location. Under no circumstances must access or exit lanes be blocked to other users of the site.
- Drivers shall ensure that the route from the parking area to the Smart Box exchange is clear of hazards. This includes observance of slippery or loose surfaces, changes in surface levels and any vehicle traffic approaching or crossing the pedestrian route to the Smart Box exchange.
- The pedestrian route to the Smart Box exchange and any nearby hidden areas (i.e. bushes) must be checked for any suspicious persons. Move to a safer location & report (to site management & the police) if you are suspicious of any individuals.
Smart Box exchange checking
- Please be aware that the Smart Box exchanges may unintentionally have sharp edges/corners. Please use the door stay where fitted.
- Take care when opening a Smart Box exchange, they may swing open or shut in windy weather conditions.
- Care must be taken when opening Smart Box exchange doors as items already in the box may fall out unexpectedly.
- Consideration and care to others must be taken when opening or closing the Smart Box doors to avoid causing harm and injury to others.
- Ensure that the box doors are locked shut when unattended.
- Goods must be moved in and out of the Smart Box exchange in line with your company manual handling guidance recommendations.
- No item greater than 25 kg is carried by ByBox Field Support. No Prohibited Goods under any circumstances and only agreed Controlled Goods can be placed in the Smart Boxes. If in doubt, please check with your ByBox Account Manager.
- All items put into the box must be stacked to prevent them falling out. Heavier items should be stored at the base of the box and unstable items should lean towards the rear of the box.
- Please consider account the weather conditions when attending your Smart Box exchange. Use the door stay where fitted. Ensure these are locked into position when the looker door is open.
- All waste and recycling items must be taken off-site and disposed of responsibly, not dumped outside the Smart Box exchange or in the site waste skips.
- If you see a fire, raise the alarm immediately and evacuate the area. If you hear a fire alarm, depart the site/area immediately and keep a safe distance. Do not return to the site/area unless instructed by site management or the emergency services.
- Any cuts or injuries sustained on site must be reported and medical attention obtained if required.
Reporting of Accidents and Near Misses
Any accident or potential hazard should be reported to your line manager, the site manager, and to ByBox Field Support Customer Support team on:
- Telephone: 0844 800 5219
- Email: email@example.com
Personal Protective Equipment (ByBox Distribution Centres)
- Please ensure you wear a high visibility vest at all times and that it is fastened at the front when collecting your deliveries from a Distribution Centre.
- Please contact reception if you do not have one with you.
Petrol Station Site Safety Practices
For use of the ByBox Smart Box exchanges at petrol stations.
When delivering or picking up items from ByBox Smart Box exchanges located on petrol stations it is important to ensure that you follow the instructions below.
- Petrol stations are potentially hazardous areas:
- Petrol is a highly flammable liquid which can give off flammable vapour, even at very low temperatures. This means there is always a risk of fire or explosion if a source of ignition is present.
- Petrol floats on the surface of water and may travel long distances, eventually causing danger away from the place where it escaped.
- Petrol vapour does not disperse easily and may also travel long distances. It tends to sink to the lowest possible level and may collect in tanks, cavities, drains, pits, or other enclosed areas where there is little air movement.
- Flammable atmospheres may be present in empty tanks and petrol cans.
- Areas of the site may be blocked off during tanker deliveries or other works. Under such circumstances, the instructions of site management must be followed.
- Petrol can be extremely dangerous if spilled on clothing due to the likelihood of vapours coming into contact with an ignition source. Should this occur then please inform the site staff who will be able to supply you with suitable replacement clothing.
FOR THESE REASONS:
- DO NOT OBSTRUCT ANY ACCESS ROUTES OR EMERGENCY EXIT ROUTES
- It is important that on arrival you park your vehicle in a designated area or other appropriate area so as not to obstruct persons arriving and leaving the forecourt whether by foot or vehicle.
- SWITCH OFF YOUR ENGINE BEFORE LEAVING YOUR VEHICLE
- DO NOT SMOKE ON THE PETROL STATION FORECOURT
You must not smoke at any time on the petrol station forecourt.
- DO NOT LEAVE LITTER OR PACKAGING ON THE FORECOURT
It is important to leave the area around the Smart Box exchange clean and tidy in order to prevent unnecessary litter, packaging or flammable materials.
- YOU MUST COMPLY WITH ANY WRITTEN NOTICES OR WARNINGS
It is essential that you read and follow any written notices or warning signs on the forecourt. They are there for safety purposes.
- YOU MUST FOLLOW ANY INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN TO YOU BY PETROL STATION STAFF
All petrol station staff are trained in health and safety and emergency procedures. It is essential you follow carefully any instructions that may be given to you.
- THE USE OF MOBILE PHONES ON THE PETROL STATION FORECOURT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED
You are required to switch off all mobile phones before entering the petrol station forecourt.
- IN THE EVENT OF AN EMERGENCY, CONTACT A MEMBER OF THE PETROL STATION STAFF IMMEDIATELY.